In my family we L-O-V-E chicken pot pie! I love it because its a fairly easy meal to make. Anything that combines all ingredients into one pot I am game to make. Well last night you guessed it, I was having a craving. Chicken pot pie is not usually very healthy, it is for one in a pie crust. Secondly it is traditionally made with heavy cream and lots of butter. Well, as you know me I must change this. I like to dub this recipe Chicken Pot minus Pie?
Servings: 6 Size: ¾ cup Calories: 164 Fat: 5.5g Carbs: 20g Fiber: 2.8g Sugars: 3.8g Protein: 8.6g Sodium: 199mg Healthy notes: High in Niacin, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C
• 1 large chicken breast boiled and chopped
• 3 small/medium potatoes (sweet potato can be used) cubed and boiled
• 1 ½ cup mixed frozen vegetables
• 1 cup frozen broccoli
• 2 Tbsp. arrowroot (cornstarch)
• 2 Tbsp. butter
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 2/3 cup milk
• Seasonings: pepper, salt, thyme, basil, celery seed, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley (about ¼ tsp. of each)
• ½ large onion chopped
• 2 raw organic carrots chopped
Start with boiling chicken until cooked about 15 minutes. Next boil potatoes until fork tender. Now, sauté the onions in butter until onions are soft. Add the arrowroot and stir for 1 minute. Add broth, milk, vegetables, chicken and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Simmer and let mixture thicken. More arrowroot may be added if you want mixture thicker in texture after upon boiling it is not. As well as more chicken broth or milk may be added if mixture is too thick. Serve and enjoy!