I decided to share how I make my guacamole. If you haven't heard avocados are an amazing superfood! They are loaded with vitamin E and folate. The folate and monounsaturated fat can lower cholesterol and prevent heart disease and strokes. Plus they are just plain tasty!
I like to make my guacamole from scratch and it is very simple. This dip recipe is great to have on hand for unexpected company. It works well also as a topping or side dish to many recipes. Or, how I like to eat it as an everyday snack with carrots and celery.
I hope you decide to try making guacamole this way instead of buying the store bought packages. When it is homemade you can control the preservatives and salt to not be included.
Healthy Tidbits: No cholesterol, High in fiber, High in vitamin E and C.
Servings: 4 Size: 1/2 cup Calories: 175 Fat: 15g Protein: 2.6g Carbs: 11.6g Fiber: 7.5g Sodium: 43mg* Sugar: 1.6g
*any additional salt added to recipe is optional and not included in this. 1 tsp. salt has 2325mg sodium
- 3 avocados save pits
- 1/2 small red onion diced very small about 1/4 cup
- 2Tbsp. petite diced tomatoes (fresh or from a can)
- 1/2- 1 lime depending how juicy it is
- 1tsp. grated lime zest (Only grate the green portion not the white beyond the green. That part is bitter)
- 1tsp. hot sauce (I use Tapatío)
- 1garlic clove smashed up and diced small
- sprigs of fresh cilantro (as much to taste)
- about 1/2-1 tsp. black pepper
- about 1/2-1tsp. cayenne pepper (may be omitted if you want to make it not as spicy)
- about 1/2-1tsp. garlic powder
- salt to taste
First make sure your avocados are soft yet firm. Their skin should look like the one pictured. If they are too green they are not ready and need to sit out on the counter for a day or two longer. Avocados should be stored outside of the fridge until they are at peak ripeness.
Slice your avocados down the middle and remove insides with a spoon into a bowl. **Save the Pits** The pits are used as your preservative. When you keep the pits in the bowl with the guacamole it will stay fresh longer and not turn brown!
After avocado meat is removed smash it up with a fork until smooth. Next add all of your ingredients and blend. Refrigerate until ready to eat. Yum, Yum!