Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Meat(loaf) Muffins


I hope everyone up here on the North East coast is safe!  Hurricane Sandy pushed her way through yesterday.  According to the news she was a nasty witch trying to ruin Halloween.   Fortunately for us over here in Boston, we did not lose power, I was able to cook some supper last night.  I was not able to get to the grocery store however, so I had to create with what I had in the house.  I wanted something quick.  The rain outside had me in a lazy mode all day!  I decided upon meat muffins.
Meat muffins...
This sounds so silly to me.  But, that is exactly what they are.  Meatloaves made in muffin tins.



I like to use muffin tins for my meat loaf whenever I want the meat to cook quickly.  Also, it is a great way to keep portion size down.  I had some veggies on hand so i shredded those and threw them in the meat mix and voila!  Meat muffins to satisfy on a rainy night.

Healthy Tidbits: Low in fat and sugar and High in Vitamin A and protein.


Servings: 12  Size:  1 muffin  Calories:  124  Fat:  1.8g  Carbs:  6.2g  Fiber:  1g  Protein: 21g Sugar:  1g  Sodium:  105mg

Ingredients:

  • 2lbs. Ground Chicken Breast
  • 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 2 raw organic carrots shredded
  • 1/2 zucchini shredded
  • 2 eggs
  • spices about 1/4 -1/2 tsp of each
    • pepper
    • salt to taste
    • garlic powder
    • onion powder
    • red pepper flakes
Get Cooking:
Preheat oven to 350.  Shred with a cheese grater the carrots and zucchini.  Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well incorporated.  Spray or line muffin tins.  Fill each cup with about 1/4 cup of meat (meat should fill entire cup).  Cook in oven for about 15-20 minutes.  Juices will run clear and test center of one muffin to make sure fully cooked.   I served mine with mashed sweet potatoes.  I made those just like regular mashed potatoes but used sweet potatoes.  I seasoned them with cinnamon, butter, milk and some chopped mixed nuts. Yum, Yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment