Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Mustard Chicken



When I was a little girl my dad used to make me a dish he called mustard chicken.  He would use the thighs and legs of the chicken and smother them in mustard and garlic and bake them to the point where the chicken would melt off the bone.  Now last night I was craving my nostalgic dish.  I decided to make it my way.  Which by now most know, let's make the dish SKINNY.

So, that is what I did.  I took chicken breast made a savory tangy sauce with mustard and garlic and poured it over veggies.  The end result was still as tasty as I remember it when I was young.  The "Man" poured his over noodles.  I try to get him to eat more veggies and less simple carbs but that is another battle.  Hey, at least he had veggies and noodles with this dish. :)




Try it.  I'm sure you will love mustard chicken as much as I always have!

Healthy Tidbits: High in Protein, Niacin, Selenium.
Poured over Veggies:  High in Vitamin A and C.


Servings: 8  Size: about 1/2 cup  Calories:  121  Fat:  4.9g  Carbs:  4.8g  Fiber:  only if you have it with veggies  Protein:  14g  Sodium:  365mg  Sugar:  1.6g

Ingredients:

  • 2 chicken breasts chopped or shredded
  • 1 small onion diced
  • 5 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/4 cup diced tomato
  • 1/4 cup non fat greek plain yogurt
  • 2 tbsp. cornstarch or arrowroot
  • 1 tbsp. parsley
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp. thyme
  • 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
  • 1 tbsp. brown mustard
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
Get Cooking:
I placed a whole chicken in the crockpot and let it cook for 6 hours on low.  Then I used the chicken breasts from that and chopped them up.  You can boil two chicken breasts as an alternative.  Take a large skillet and heat on medium the olive oil.  Next, sauté the onions and then garlic until soft.  Add the chopped or shredded chicken into skillet.  Add the remainder of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Then, reduce heat to low and let the sauce thicken.  I used a whisk with the cornstarch to break it up and mix it well.  Serve over veggies or I suppose noodles :) Yum, Yum!





No comments:

Post a Comment