Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Red/Marinara Sauce



I have been wanting for a while to put my recipe for Italian gravy,  red sauce or spaghetti marinara on the blog.  Here it is.  I have picked up some techniques from my soon to be mother in law, Mama Bergamo, and from living in the North End of Boston (Italian community).  I love making this red sauce and it is fairly simple.  This sauce is quick and makes a lot so you can use it for a couple of different meals.  It is a great staple to have on hand.

My favorite way to eat red sauce is on veggies!  Therefore it makes perfect sense that I placed mine over spaghetti squash and zucchini.  I also topped with toasted spaghetti squash seeds.  Waste not!

I have been seeing zucchini noodles everywhere and decided to try it.  Let me say, I am in love!
I did not have a fancy spiralizer or julienne peeler to make perfect strings, I will be investing in one now.  Therefore i cut the zucchini in half and shredded it on a cheese grater lengthwise.  It came out great!  Look out folks this is going to be my new way to eat pasta.  Faux pasta made from veggies! Oh the possibilities!



Healthy Tidbits:  No cholesterol, High in Fiber, High in Iron, Vitamin A and Vitamin C



Servings:  24  Size:  1cup Calories:  52  Fat:  1.2g  Protein:  1.2g  Carbs:  4.8g  Fiber:  1.7g  Sugar:  3.1g  Sodium:  163mg *

Ingredients:

  • 3, 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes (I use Tuttorosso or Cento, Pictured)
  • 1, 8oz can tomato sauce
  • 1, 16oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 carrot 
  • 1 small yellow onion
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • about 3/4 cup water
  • 2 bouillon cubes, chicken or beef or sub water and bouillon cubes for vegetable broth for vegetarian.
  • Handfull of fresh basil
  • spices:
    • salt
    • pepper
    • oregano
    • garlic powder
    • onion powder
*This does not include salt added for taste or bouillon cubes or broth.

Get Cooking:
Start by using a food processor to pulverize the onion.  Heat olive oil in large pot.  Once heated add pureed onion.  Make sure heat is on medium.  Next pulverize the carrot and garlic cloves.  once onion has been heated about 4 minutes add the carrot and garlic.  I use a little water to get all the remnants of the carrot and garlic out of my food processor.  Let this cook for another 4 minutes then add the diced tomatoes.  While tomatoes are cooking i like to smash them with my large spoon to make sure there are not huge chunks of tomato.  During this process I add my spices.  I use about 1 tablespoon of spices I use my hand for guidance as shown.  Stir and let this mixture cook for about 10 minutes.  Next, add the cans of crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce.  I clean my crushed tomato cans with about 1/4 cup water. I do this to make sure all the good stuff is out of the can.  Add the bouillon cubes to the sauce, reduce to low and let simmer for at the very least an hour.  I let mine go for about 3 or more usually.  When I am preparing the pasta or the last 20 minutes of cooking the sauce I add my fresh basil.  Dice or tear the basil.  Serve it up or freeze for later.

I served mine over spaghetti squash. Cut lengthwise, remove seeds, and place flat side down on baking pan and bake at 400 for about 30-40 minutes until fork can go through skin easily.  I also sliced up zucchini. I cut them in half and cut the ends off and lengthwise grated them on a cheese grater.  No need to cook the zucchini the hot sauce will heat them up enough. Yum, Yum!



Don't mind the rigamortis looking hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment