Friday, October 12, 2012

Simple Cabbage Soup



Sorry It has been a couple of days.  I hope everyone has had a lovely weekend!  I have been MIA because I have been enjoying the company of my finance's mother.  She has been in town for the last week and we have all been sightseeing and playing in the lovely city of Boston.  Here are a couple of pics from the past week that have kept me occupied instead of cooking! Bad bad me.

The background is a beautiful tree in the Boston Garden.  The leaves are changing fall is here!  Pictures from top going clockwise:  My hunny and his mother on our roof top deck.  All three of us at Cafe Vanille, (We ate the most incredible chocolate croissants).  If you are ever in Boston's Beacon Hill area go here for croissants! Jeff and I in Newport RI, it is just beautiful there!  And Jeff's Mama (Mama B), and I, she doesn't like pictures so we snuck up on her!

We all had a great time as you can see from the large smiles on our faces!

But I'm back and with a quick and simple veggie soup.  The last week I was eating out a lot so my body was craving veggies!  This soup was simple to make and really you could throw in whatever vegetables you have in your refrigerator.  I like my soup to have a kick so I of course added cayenne pepper but this can easily be omitted.

This soup was started by wanting to use up the leftover cabbage I had.  I discovered upon researching benefits of cabbage that in Germany they make cabbage soup instead of chicken noodle when someone is sick.  Well I'm not sick but my body is sick of junk food.  So, perfect.  Simple Cabbage soup.



Servings: 8  Size 2/3 cup  Calories: 87  Fat: 1.3g  Sodium: 443mg  Carbs: 13.4g  Fiber: 2.4g  Sugar: 2.6g  Protein: 5.75g  Healthy Facts:  High in Fiber, Niacin, Vitamin A and Vitamin C


Ingredients:

  • 1 small red cabbage
  • 2 cup swiss chard
  • 4 oz whole wheat noodles
  • 2 carrots
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes
  • ½ onion
  • 1/4tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4 tsp basil
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Get Cooking:
Simply bring vegetable broth to a boil add spices, onion, tomatoes, carrots and noodles.  When noodles are almost ready about 7 minutes add shredded cabbage and swiss chard.  Adjust spices according to taste more or less.  Serve hot with fresh parsley and I put some goat cheese! Yum Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment