Thursday, October 18, 2012

SKINNY Picadillo


One of my great friends is Cuban.  Now in case you haven't heard, Cubans can cook!  Her grandmothers would make us amazing feasts for lunch everyday while in college.  We were very lucky her grandmothers lived across the street from our school.  Every dish was truly authentic.  One dish in particular that I loved was Picadillo.

Picadillo is a Cuban version of a hash.  The flavors of the meat and potatoes are enhanced by savory and salty spices.  Traditionally this dish can be stuffed in small pie shells known as empanadas, or enjoyed over rice.  I suppose really this dish has endless possibilities.  It can be poured on mashed potatoes, served on a baked potato, made as a pot pie filling, the bones to a hearty soup... Well I'm rambling and you get the idea.  This is a tasty meal that will soon become a "go to" because it is quick and simple to make.



Picadillo is made with ground beef and potatoes.  I of course made it SKINNY by making mine with ground chicken breast.  I also upped the potatoes to sweet potatoes to give it more nutritional benefits.  Instead of beef broth I used vegetable which has less fat.  I also served mine over brown rice instead of white.  Quinoa and barley work well also.  With the savory spices of cinnamon and cumin you will not even miss the beef!

Healthy Tidbits: High in Niacin, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C




Servings: 8  Size:  about a 1/2 cup  Calories:  148  Fat:  5g  Carbs:  8g  Fiber:  1.5g  Sugar:  2.6g  Protein:  18g  Sodium:  325mg

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground chicken
  • 1 small sweet potato or 1/2 a large one
  • 1 small yellow potato
  • 1 small yellow onion
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • 8 or more green olives pitted
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1, 8oz can of tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
  • Spices:
    • 1 tsp cumin
    • 1 tsp oregano
    • kosher salt to taste
    • pepper to taste
    • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Get Cooking:
I like to start by dicing my onion garlic and red pepper very small.  I heat my large skillet and add a spray of pam or use a Tbsp. of olive oil.  Turn heat to medium high and sauté the onion and red pepper.   I add my garlic after those have softened for about 5 minutes.  After adding the garlic add the ground chicken.  Cook until brown.  Add your  spices, tomato sauce, tomatoes, broth, and potatoes.  Reduce heat to low cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.  When finished add green olives and Serve.  Yum, Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment