Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Apple Cider Poached Pears


I hope everyone had an amazing Thanksgiving Holiday!  I know I did.  Jeff and I decided to go to Vermont for the 5 day weekend.  We stayed at a lovely Bed & Breakfast, The West Hill House.  I absolutely loved loved loved Vermont.  In Warren, which is where we were, the town is all about sustainable living.  There were acres of farms everywhere.  Each restaurant we ate at would explain where the meat was from, which local farm, and that it was grass fed and humane.  The food was fresh and delicious, I have no complaints.  I ate very well!

At the B&B Susan, the owner, would make a delicious 3 course breakfast for the guests each morning. One dish she prepared that I absolutely loved was apple cider poached pears.  Of course I took note and decided to try my hand at making this lovely dish.  Vermont has amazing apple cider.  We bought some while we were there from Cold Hollow Cider Mill.  I can't say I ever remember trying apple cider.  After doing so I have no clue why I haven't! It is delicious.  Naturally sweet and refreshing.



Susan and Peter were amazing hosts.  Jeff and I had a memorable time in Vermont and will be back again!


Servings:  4  Size:  1/2 pear  Calories:  97  Fat:  0.2g  Carbs:  25g  Fiber:  3.6g  Protein:  0.5g  Sugar: 18.6g  Sodium:  3mg

Ingredients:

  • 2 pears
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup unsweetened apple cider
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/8 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon stick
  • 1 tsp arrowroot or cornstarch



Get Cooking:
Take each pear and a little of the bottoms off so they can stand up when plated.  Next slice them in half and remove the seed in the middle.  You can use a melon baller or I use my 1/2 tsp measuring spoon.  In a medium saucepan heat the water, cider, applesauce, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cinnamon stick and vanilla.  Bring to a simmer.  Add the pears, inside of pears, flat side down in saucepan.  let Simmer until  fork tender.  Not to long you do not want them turning into mush.  Usually about 10 minutes.  Remove pears and you can add cornstarch and bring to a boil, to thicken sauce to pour on top of the pears.
Yum, Yum!

I ate mine over oatmeal for breakfast so delish!













No comments:

Post a Comment