Friday, November 9, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza Crust



Like any smart, amazing and sane American, I love pizza!  I honestly think I could eat pizza everyday.  With this love for pizza comes a whole lot of dough i.e. complex carbs, starch, gluten and grains.  Oh why does everything that tastes fantastic have to contain these non nutritious or beneficial for the body ingredients?!  Until now that is.  I was on a quest to SKINNY up my dear old friend pizza.  While exploring the depths of Google I discovered a pizza crust made with cauliflower! I know what you are thinking.  "What?! Pizza made from veggies? No way that would work." I know, I thought the same thing.  But, great adventure comes from writing this blog and I decided to create my version of this clever creation of cauliflower pizza crust.  



After trying this new way to eat pizza I don't think I will ever go back!  It tastes just as good!  Because it tastes just as good, plus is full of veggies, why would I go back to the original? The crust is really simple to make and can be topped with any of your favorite and standard toppings.  I dusted my pizza with sausage, mushrooms, kale and tomatoes.  Having now, this recipe in my arsenal I am already thinking of the varieties of things I can create with this.  Stay tuned.  I'm sure it is not the last you will see of Cauliflower Crust.  

Healthy Tidbits: High in Calcium, Phosphorus, Selenium and Vitamin C. Plus whatever vegetables you add to the top.





Pic 1

***This is just for the crust, Added sauce, cheese and toppings not included***

Servings:  8  Size:  1 slice  Calories:  67  Fat:  3.8g  Carbs:  2.8g  Fiber:  1.0g  Protein:  5.8g  Sodium:  170mg  Sugar:  1g


Pic 2
Ingredients:

  • 3 heaping cups of cauliflower riced (Riced cauliflower is chopped in a food processor or grated to the texture of rice.) (Pic 2 and 3).
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1/2- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese 
  • 2 cloves garlic minced



Pic 3



Get Cooking:
First chop cauliflower to obtain the florets.  Place cauliflower florets in food processor and pulse until you obtain the consistency of rice, (pic 2 and 3 ).  After you have riced cauliflower place in microwave safe bowl and nuke for about 5 minutes.  Let cool.  Take a clean towel and place your 3 heaping cups of cauliflower and drain all the excess moisture.  Place drained cauliflower into a clean bowl.  Add to this the remainder of the ingredients and mix.  On a lined baking sheet (make sure to spray the lining with non-stick spray or use coconut oil or olive oil) start forming cauliflower mixture into the shape of a pizza.  Press the cauliflower together and flatten until you obtain the shape and it is sticking together.  Bake in an oven at 425 for about 20 minutes.  Time may change due to different ovens.  When it is finished the edges will be nice and brown and crispy.  At this point you can add your sauce ( I used my Red/Marinara Sauce), mozzarella cheese and cooked toppings.  Place pizza back into oven under the broiler for a few minutes until cheese is melted.  Let pizza cool a little before slicing.  The longer it sets out of the oven the better it holds together.  Yum, Yum!


2 comments: