Here we are exactly 1 week away from Thanksgiving! I have decided to test out some recipes for the big day. Of course one important side dish on this day of thanks is the mashed potatoes. I actually love sweet potatoes more than russet. That said I decided to make mashed sweet potatoes. What makes these different is they are enhanced with cinnamon, rosemary and walnuts. The end flavor is a burst of savory sweet that will compliment any Thanksgiving Day meal. I must warn you make plenty because these will take center stage and be gobbled up!
Healthy Tidbits: Low Sat. Fat, No cholesterol, High in Manganese, Vit A and C.
Servings: 4 Size: 1/2 cup Calories: 103 Fat: 4.7g Carbs: 13.6g Fiber: 2.6g Protein: 3.0g Sugar: 4.5g Sodium: 168mg
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce If using more sweet potatoes, add 1 Tbsp applesauce for each sweet potato used, i.e.: 4 sweet potatoes = 4 Tbsp. applesauce.
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or any preferred nut.
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. rosemary fresh preferred but dried is fine
- salt to taste
- butter to taste not needed but may be used.
- honey also can be used to sweeten not needed though
Cut the sweet potatoes in cubes and boil until soft. Once drained mash the sweet potatoes and add the applesauce. Toast the walnuts and add those and the remaining spices. Serve! Yum, Yum!