Wednesday, November 14, 2012

SKINNY Patty Melt


I have been on a quest to find an amazing Patty Melt in the city.  I haven't found a love yet. :(  Due to this failure I decided to create my own Patty Melt.  Characteristically a Patty Melt is an all beef patty smothered with cheese and grilled onions pressed between rye or sourdough bread.  As you can see from the picture and probably guess, I made mine a teensy bit different.

First I got rid of the bread.  I replaced the rye bread with my cauliflower crust creation from a couple of blog posts ago.  See, I told you I would find more ways to use this crust.  We are quickly developing a close bond.  I simply reduced the recipe by half added a little rosemary and shaped the crust into round hamburger bun shapes.  This "bread" held together great! I was still able to pick up my Melt with my hands.



I still used beef for the hamburger.  Your body does need red meat, in small portions.  Red meat is full of iron, B vitamins and zinc.  On top of my Patty Melt I sautéed onions and mushrooms.  And lastly, topped off the sandwich with a small slice of cheese and a secret sauce I created.  This was a very satisfying patty melt! Best, all of the components to the Melt were home created.  Plus it was SKINNY so I had no guilt!




Healthy Tidbits:  High in Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin B6, B12, C and Zinc.


Servings:  6  Size:  1 patty and 1 cauliflower crust  Calories:  237  Fat:  8.2g  Carbs:  5.1g  Fiber:  1.4g  Protein:  34.3g  Sugar:  2.8g  Sodium:   453mg

Ingredients:
  • Half the recipe for the Cauliflower Pizza Crust add a little rosemary to it.
  • 1.2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 onion
  • 1/2 cup  more or less of mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup greek plain nonfat yogurt
  • 1/ tbsp ketchup
  • dehydrated onion
  • 1 pickle diced
  • 2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
  • cheese slices any variety
Get Cooking:
Make Cauliflower crust and add some rosemary to it.  Form in the shapes of hamburger patties.  Bake at 400 for about 15-10 mins.  Meanwhile sauté sliced onions until caramelized and tender.  This browning of the onions can take up to 15 mins.  Add mushrooms towards the end of the process.   Mix hamburger meat with salt and pepper to taste and add worcestershire sauce.  Form meat into the shape of patties and cook on a medium heat grill until cooked to liking.  In a small bowl add the greek yogurt, ketchup, salt, pepper, dehydrated onion ( a sprinkling) and pickle.  Mix well.  When all is done cooking.  Assemble the Patty Melt and enjoy.  I served mine with Sour Cream & Chive Potato Salad.  Yum, Yum!

Secret sauce on the left.  And the Yummy Patty Melt on the right


1 comment:

  1. I will definitely get my hands on this one, can't wait for this weekend cooking.

    ReplyDelete