Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Stuffed Zucchini



The other day I was stumped.  I had no clue what to create for dinner.  I have some old cookbooks my grandma Marie has given me, so I decided to scan those.  This is the book I came upon and discovered inspiration!



This cookbook is a Betty Crocker book from 1965.  The entire book is based on quick meals to make when entertaining.  It's so retro and adorable.  It explains what to prepare when company stops by and you need to whip up dinner in a flash.  While enjoyably reading I came across a recipe for stuffed zucchinis.  I thought, "Brilliant!"  That is exactly what I decided to make.  The original recipe is made with quinoa, zucchini and tomatoes.  I jazzed this baby up and it came out amazing!  This is probably one of my new favorite dishes.  In my revamped recipe I omitted the quinoa, added Italian sausage, mushrooms, cottage cheese and carrots.  Oh man I am drooling thinking about this, it was that good.  Luckily I have leftovers for lunch today.  This recipe is packed with veggies and protein, and has no grains!  These are the perfect necessities your body needs to get SKINNY.



Healthy Tidbits:  High in Calcium, Phosphorus and Vitamin B6.  Very high in Vitamin A and C.


Servings:  6 Size:  1 zucchini half Calories: 134  Fat:  7.1g  Carbs:  8.2g  Fiber:  2.1g  Protein:  10.6g  Sodium:  279mg  Sugar:  3.8g 

Ingredients:
  • 3 zucchinis ends cut off and sliced in half with insides scooped out leaving ¼ inch of the shell.  Dice up the insides of the zucchini that was scooped out.
  • 2 carrots diced
  • 1 hot Italian chicken sausage (if making vegetarian omit this and and 1 full cup of mushrooms.  Add 1/2 tsp italian seasoning and I would add some crushed red pepper.)
  • ½ cup baby portabella mushrooms diced
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 cloves large garlic
  • ½ cup petite-diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
  • ¼ cup skim cottage cheese
  • ¼ tsp. Italian seasonings
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp. parsley







Get Cooking:
Take sliced zucchinis and place in a 425 preheated oven.  Bake for 15 minutes.  If not browned place under the broiler and watch carefully until zucchini skins are browned.  While those are baking heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil.  Add onion and cook until translucent.  Next, add the garlic and mushrooms.  After these have sweated and softened for about 5 minutes at medium low temp, add the Italian sausage taken out of the skin.  Brown the sausage and break it up into smaller pieces.  After browned add tomatoes.  Cook for about 5 minutes allowing the tomato juice to deglaze pan.  Add spices and carrots and zucchini insides.  Cook for about 3-7 minutes.   In a bowl add this meat veggie filling and add the cottage cheese and mozzarella.  Reserve a little mozzarella to sprinkle on top.  Scoop this mixture in the browned zucchini shells.  Sprinkle remainder mozzarella on top and sprinkle a little parsley and parmesan cheese.  Place back under broiler until melted and browned.  Yum, Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment