Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sunflower Seed Butter (Sunbutter)



Today I went to grab one of my usual snacks of pears and peanut butter.  But I couldn't, because we were out of peanut butter! Dun dun duuuunnnn! Cue the shocking and suspenseful music.  After debating if I should run to the store or not I scoured the pantry for a substitution.  I found some sunflower seeds.  I thought that might work, they are similar to nuts, can't those make butter?  Well upon research on the good ole' trusty Internet I discovered this is an actual product.  Sunbutter.  I had never heard of this.  Well I thought lets see if I can create Sunflower seed butter the same way peanut butter is created.  Turns out you can!  And it is a very yummy snack.  It might even be more filling than peanut butter.  It also would be great for those out there with a peanut allergy and tend to miss out on PB&J's.  Try it for yourself and see, which you like better.

Seeds into...

Butter!

Healthy Tidbits:  No cholesterol, Low in sodium and sugar, High in: Manganese, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Selenium, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, Calcium, and essential Fatty Acids.



Servings:  4  Size: about 1Tbsp.  Calories:  70  Fat:  6.2g  Protein:  2.4g  Carbs:  2.3g  Fiber:  1g  Sodium:   1mg Sugar: 0mg

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 tsp coconut oil
  • Optional add-ins:
    • dash of cinnamon
    • dash of pure vanilla extract
    • 1/2 tsp pure raw honey

Get Cooking:

These are the ingredients you will need :)

First toast your seeds in the oven at 325.  Just until lightly browned.  The oils will just start to release.
Next place in food processor (pic 1).  Pulse on high and then low until broken down to a powdery substance (pic 2).  Keep pulsing on low until the seeds start to resemble a coarse peanut butter.  The longer you pulse the more oil releases from the seeds (pic 3).  At the point where it starts to look like peanut butter I add my coconut oil, salt and any add-ins you would like.   Pulse a little longer on low until incorporated.  The end result will be a beautiful creamy butter! (Pic 4). Serve with carrots and pears like I did or  eat just like you would peanut butter. Yum, Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment