Friday, November 2, 2012

Tortilla Soup




The temperature is steadily dropping outside.  I suppose that is what happens come fall and winter time.   Well I wanted to make something warm and that would keep me toasty from the drafty windows.  I had some leftover chicken from when I cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot earlier this week.   And well, that's a great start.  I thought I would have a go at making tortilla soup.  I for some reason have never made it.  And I love tortilla soup!  I made this quickly in a large pot on the stove, but I suppose you could throw all the ingredients in a crock pot and forget about it all day.  I knew I wanted a lot of veggies (duh) and spice! And this recipe here is what I concocted.  I topped the soup with my Guacamole. Any excuse to have guacamole and I'm all about it.


Look how pretty the fresh veggies look! So colorful! Because there are so many vegetables in this soup it is jam packed with healthy benefits.  Just look at the Tidbits below.  It's packed! If you ask me I am making this next time I have a cold instead of regular old chicken noodle.


Healthy Tidbits: No Sat. Fat, High in: fiber, iron, manganese, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin B6, Very High in: Vitamin A and C. whew.


Servings:  Size:  Calories:  133  Fat: 2.6g  Carbs:  15.5g  Fiber: 4.2g  Protein:  12.4g  Sugar:  2.1g  Sodium:  221mg

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups chicken breast diced or shredded (dark meat can be used also up to you )
  • 1 small onion diced
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 cup red pepper diced
  • 1 cup green bell pepper diced
  • 2 carrots sliced
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 can enchilada sauce I like medium for a little kick to it
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles or add those separate
  • 2 limes zest and juice
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Spices:
    • black pepper 1/2 tsp or to taste
    • kosher salt to taste
    • 1/2-1 tsp cayenne pepper
    • 1/2-1 tsp paprika
    • 1/2 tsp cumin
    • 1/2-1 tsp oregano
    • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
    • 1 tbsp. hot sauce
  • Toppings optional:
    • tortilla chips
    • cheese
    • guacamole
    • avocados
    • olives
    • green onion
    • sour cream
Get Cooking:
I like to dice all my vegetables first.  Take a large pot heat 1 tbsp olive oil sauté onions until translucent.  Next, add garlic, green and red peppers.  On low heat sweat those together, About 10 mins.  Turn heat back to medium add the chicken, carrots and spices and hot sauce.  Heat the chicken through then add the tomatoes.  Cook about 5 mins.  Add broth, water, enchilada sauce and beans.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.  At the end add the lime zest of two limes and taste to see if more pepper or salt is needed.  When serving add the lime juice to the individual bowls and top with toppings of your choice I used cheese and my Guacamole recipe.  Yum, Yum!

2 comments:

  1. LOOKS SOOOOOO YUM!!! will definitely be trying this!! love the tidbits! you are adorable adri!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good! Of course you can omit the chicken ;)

      Delete