Thursday, November 29, 2012

Turkey Gumbo




I don't know about the rest of you, but I still have leftover turkey! After carving the turkey I had saved the bones to make turkey stock.  Simple enough.  Add bones to large soup pot, cover with water and add a whole onion in large cubes.  Also add a couple of carrots, celery, and peppercorns.  Cover this pot and let simmer for 3 hours or more.  Strain, so all you are left with is liquid.  Voila turkey stock.  


Back to the Turkey Gumbo.  Having all this turkey and turkey stock leftover I decided to make soup.  Soup is great because you can throw everything but the kitchen sink in it.  When I was making this I had leftover okra.  Hmm. Okra, turkey, stock.  Gumbo! That's the way my mind works.  I did not make this traditionally with added flour.  Therefore it is slightly different, but still as tasty.  Serve up over rice or eat it just the way it is.

My camera Man caught me in the shot.  This soup makes a large pot!  Feed an army or freeze.



Healthy Tidbits: Low in Sat. Fat. High in Fiber, Phosphorus, Protein, Vit. B6 and C.  Very High in Selenium and Vit. A.


Servings: 10-12  Size:  1 cup Calories:  149 Fat:  2.1g Carbs: 16.4g  Fiber:  5.7g Protein:  17.1g Sugar:  3.4g Sodium: 1000mg
Nutritional Facts does not include rice


Ingredients:

  • 3 liters homemade turkey stock ( 3/4 of a soup pot, about 12 cups)
  • 1 onion diced
  • 3 carrots sliced
  • 1 cup okra
  • 3 cups turkey
  • 3 Celery stems sliced
  • 1 small green pepper
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with jalapeƱos 
  • 1 can navy beans or 3/4 cup freshly made
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 bay leaf 
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • kosher salt to taste



Get Cooking:
Bring Turkey Stock to a bowl.  Add onion and beans.  Reduce broth to a simmer and add remaining ingredients except okra.  Let simmer for about 30 minutes.  In a separate frying pan heat the okra.  I sprayed my pan with non stick cooking spray.  Cook the okra until it is no longer sticky.  About 10 minutes.  Add this cooked okra to the soup pot.   Serve over brown rice or eat as is.  Yum, Yum!







No comments:

Post a Comment