Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Spinach Kale Bites





         Christmas is next week!  Can you believe it!  In preparation for my Christmas gatherings and New Years Eve party I decided to try a recipe I have had floating in my brain for a while.  I thought what is better than little bites loaded with spinach, kale and cauliflower?  Nothing in my eyes.  These are veggie bites basically.
         I loved the idea of having a scrumptious appetizer to serve that is loaded with leafy green vegetables that are essential for the body.  


     MMM... I gobbled these right up!  They are only 24 calories per bite so...  Let's just say I ate most of them! 

      Serve these little gems at your next get together!

Healthy Tidbits:  High in Calcium, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin C and A.


Servings:  24 Size:  1 ball  Calories:  24  Fat:  1.4g  Carbs:  1.3g  Protein:  1.7g  Sugar:  0g   Sodium:  27mg * plus whatever salt you add

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cup spinach chopped
  • 1 cup kale chopped
  • 1/2 cup ricotta
  • 1/2 cup onion diced
  • 4 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese shredded 
  • 1 cup cauliflower riced
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • salt to taste

    Get Cooking:
    Blanche the spinach and kale in hot water.  Drain and squeeze out excess water.  In a large bowl add all of the ingredients.  Mix well.  Roll into balls, makes about 24.  place on a nonstick or sprayed cookie sheet.  Bake at 425 for 30 minutes.

        6 comments:

        1. I made this. It was delicious! I didn't use all your measurements, mostly eyeballed it, but still. It was genius! :) Thanks for the recipe!

          ReplyDelete
          Replies
          1. Thanks so MUCH!!! I love hearing when someone has tried the recipe! Glad you enjoyed. I usually eyeball as well ;) xoxoxo

            Delete
        2. obviously you cook the cauliflower, right? I find it's pretty difficult to rice. also, do you sautee the onion, or add it raw? I can't wait to make these.
          thanks

          ReplyDelete
          Replies
          1. I actually do the cauliflower without cooking it first. I just chop it up and add it to the food processor and pulse. The onions can be raw or sautéed first. That is your call. Cooking them will make them more mild in flavor.

            Delete
        3. Ooh, Thank you for this recipe!!! My kids LOVE the Trader Joes kale and spanish bites, but at $5 a box, and two boys, that really adds up fast! And this one is even healthier!!

          ReplyDelete
        4. Do these have to be served hot? I'm looking for an appetizer to bring to a party and these would be PERFECT if they taste OK at room temp -- I'd rather not have to ask to use their oven when I walk in the door =)

          Thanks!

          ReplyDelete