Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Date Snack Bars

Made By: Ryan Noelle     January 14, 2013


A good friend of mine absolutely loves protein bars!  She loves a quick meal that she can eat between her patients; she is a very busy dental hygienist.  Last time I was visiting her she made me try one of her new favorite bars.  Let me preface by saying I am not the biggest fan of health bars.  I do not like added preservatives that are used to keep them fresh.  Well the bar she gave me was held together by dates no oats.  I thought that was different and I liked the idea!  After tasting the bar I am now a fan of health bars!  This was delicious!




So as always here I went.  I decided to make my version of this snack bar.  It is absolutely delicious! This bar helps to satisfy my sweet tooth and hunger pangs!  I created the bars using date paste, nuts, unsweetened coconuts and dried fruits.  That's it! These bars will be fresh for up to 48 hours non-refrigerated and 10 days refrigerated.

Oh the possibilities!  I am in love with dates used as sweeteners.  Avid followers you have been forewarned.  Dates will be making appearances in almost every dessert recipe from here forward! :)

Healthy Tidbits:  No cholesterol, low in sodium.  High in potassium and protein.  Great source of omega 6 & 3 fatty acids.


Servings: about 10 depending on thickness and how you cut the bars. Size: 1 bar Calories: 113 Fat: 5.8g Carbs: 15.3g Fiber: 2.2g Protein: 3g Sugar: 11.8g Sodium: the about of the pinch you added.

Ingredients:
  • 7 Medjool Dates (take out the pits)
  • 1/4 cup almonds
  • 1/4 cup craisins, raisin, cherry mix
  • 1/4 cup pistachios
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes you may need more if your mixture isn't sticking together well.
  • 1/4 cup applesauce

The picture on the right is the trail mix I used for my bars.  I got this at Wholefoods.  It contains almonds, pistachios, and dried berries.  I separated the nuts to chop them in the food processor.  
From left to right:  Medjool Dates,  Finished bars.  Date Bar mixture: nuts, dried fruit, date paste, cinnamon


Get Cooking:
Start by making the date paste.  Soak 1 cup of Medjool Dates, about 7 of them, in warm water until soft.  This takes about 3 hours.  Transfer the dates to a food processor.  Be sure to remove all pits inside the dates before you begin to pulverize.  Start blending the dates until a paste is formed.  Add 1 tbsp water and continue blending.

**Quicker way I found to make date paste**  Boil enough water to cover the dates that are in a bowl.  Pour boiling water over the dates and let them soak until soft.  Usually once water cools they are ready. Remove pits, and then pulverize in the food processor or blender.

Now on to the bars.  Add the apple sauce to the dates and blend well.  Transfer the date paste into a mixing bowl.  Take the nuts and toast them in the oven until browned. ( oven set at 400 and roast for about 10 minutes).  Add the nuts to the food processor and pulse until they are chopped up. You want some pieces completely fine and about 1/4 of them almost whole.  Add the nuts and dried fruit and cinnamon to the date paste.  Next add the coconut flakes to the food processor and chop until they are fine like coconut flour.  Add this to your mixing bowl.  Mix Mix Mix all the ingredients.  In a square or rectangular dish lay parchment paper inside and spread the mixture so it is even.  You can make your bars as thick or thin as you would like.  Place in refrigerator or freezer to set up.  Freezer takes about 2 hours and refrigerator 5.  When firm remove bars with parchment paper.  Cut into sizes that you like. 
Enjoy! Yum, Yum!!

2 comments:

  1. You mention adding applesauce, but applesauce is not listed in the ingredients. How much do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy for letting me know! I have adjusted the ingredients. The applesauce is not necessary but it does make them sweeter and more chewy :) I hope you enjoy them!! XOXO

      Delete