Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Clean Eating Oatmeal Pancakes

 Made By: Ryan Noelle     March 20, 2013

     Breakfast for dinner today!!!  I love having breakfast for supper.  I remember being little and when my mom would declare it was breakfast for dinner I always was so EXCITED!  There is something about having pancakes at night.  Call me strange but it makes me feel giddy, like when I was a girl.  Perhaps its because it is the unusual, out of the norm.  We are trained to only eat pancakes, eggs, french toast etc. only when we first wake up in the morning.  Eating these breakfast favorites at night lend an air of whimsy and carefree aura that I find enchanting.  

     Now for my Breakfast for dinner meal I decided to make pancakes.  While surfing around on my favorite, Pinterest, (you can follow me HERE), I found an awesome pancake recipe that is from the Biggest Loser television show.  Original recipe can be found here.  I made only a little adjustment and drizzled blueberry syrup on top!  MMM. these are perfect!  They taste so good and you cannot even tell they are not "real" pancakes.  I can't wait to try different adaptations.  



     What are your favorite pancake toppings?

Healthy Tidbits:  High in manganese, phosphorus and selenium. 

Serving:  8  Size:  1 pancake  Calories:  80  Fat:  2.2g  Carbs:  8.1g  Fiber:  1.2g  Protein:  6.3g  Sugar:  1g  Sodium:  136mg

Serving: all of the syrup  Calories:  51  Fat:  0.2g  Carbs:  10g  Protein:  0.4g  Sugar:  8.5g  Sodium:  6mg

Ingredients:

Pancakes
  • 1 cup regular oats turned to flour, use gluten free oatmeal if needed
  • 1 cup 1% no salt cottage cheese 
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp sweetener of choice, agave, honey... I used coconut sugar.  Honestly you really do not need anything if you would rather not put it in.  
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, you may need more depending on the cottage cheese consistency.  
  • 2 eggs or 6 egg whites
Blueberry syrup

  • 1/4 cup blueberries
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tsp coconut sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice





Get Cooking:

Pancakes:  turn oatmeal into flour by processing it in a food processor or grinder.  Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix mix mix.  If you want batter even smoother place in food processor or blender, and mix until smooth.  You may need more milk depending on the batter consistency.  Add slowly until you have pancake batter texture.  Heat a medium skillet on low and use a non stick spray or pan and place 1/4 cup pancake batter.  Flip pancake when it is bubbling and browning on the edges.  Cook on the other side for a little longer.  Serve hot!

Blueberry syrup:  Combine all ingredients except lemon juice into a small pot.  boil and mash the blueberries for about 10 minutes.  add lemon juice and remove from heat.  If you want it sweeter you can add more sugar.  Serve on top of pancakes! Yum, Yum!






2 comments:

  1. Pancakes are not just for breakfast. My wife and I, alongside our kids, go out every Friday night for some pancakes after a few rounds of bowling. I always have mine with sunny side up eggs in between the pancakes. D-E-L-I-S-H, isn’t it?

    Joseph Carr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pancakes for dinner!!!! Love to hear I am not the only one! :) The tradition of bowling and pancakes sounds so fun!!! What a great memory for the kiddies!

      Delete