Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Girl Scout Samoa Bars

Made By: Ryan Noelle     March 6, 2013

     It's Girl Scout Cookie time!!! I love this time of year.  Something about the cookies make me all warm and feel good inside.  One of my favorite cookies are the Samoas! Don't get me wrong I love the Treifoils and Tagalongs.  However, Samoas I can never resist.  That oozy coconut caramel striped with rich chocolate neatly piled onto a crunchy cookie!  Yup, gotta say it again, they are my favorite.  Now as everyone has learned by now I take a recipe I love and I shimmy it into a healthier alternative.  My rendition of the famous Girl Scout cookie is sweetened with natural sugars and has no gluten.


    I made mine into bars but this could easily be done with cookie cutters to make the original donut-esque shape of traditional Samoas.


     Yes, I cut out butter.  Yes, I cut out sugar.  But, NO I have not sacrificed flavor! These are still very sweet and taste just like the cookie we all Samoa lovers, well, love!


Which is your favorite Girl Scout cookie?


Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups Almond Flour 
  • 3  Medjool Dates may need more or less
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 5 oz Dark Chocolate, 5 squares 
  • 3/4 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
  • about 1/4 cup Caramel Sauce



Get Cooking:

In a food processor add almond flour, dates, vanilla and salt.  blend until a dough has formed.  I like to add my dates one at a time to check if the dough is sticking together.  If it is not add another date until the dough is able to be molded.  In a 9x6 baking dish press the dough into the bottom.  Bake at 350 for about 10-15minutes.  You want the dough to crisp just slightly.

Melt chocolate in a double boiler system.  spread the chocolate on the cookie layer and let cool completely.  Be sure to leave a little bit of chocolate to drizzle on the top.

When that has cooled add a thin layer of caramel sauce.  Recipe found HERE.

Next, toast the coconut in a 350 oven for about 8 minutes.  Watch and make sure the coconut turns light brown.  Add 2 tbsp. of caramel sauce to the toasted coconut.  sprinkle this mixture on top of the cookie, chocolate, caramel layers.

Last, drizzle the cookies with the remainder chocolate.  Let the cookies set up in the fridge for about an hour.  Cut and enjoy! Yum, Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment