Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Quinoa Stuffed Cabbage Rolls



    Hey, Hey!  I hope everyone had a fun and enjoyable weekend.  I spent mine strolling around the city and drinking a lot of tea, hahaha.  I am a little obsessed at the moment.  While the entire city was celebrating St. Patrick's Day throwing back Guinness I was hitting up different cafes and trying new teas.  Hahaha I'm so edgy.  Also, hubs and I enjoyed a marathon of "The Walking Dead".  Another obsession of mine.  But I must say between the heart-stopping action of "The Walking Dead," and all my tea I was  not able to sleep!  So I got up and prepared dinner for the next day! Oh what a crazy insomniac.

It is hard to take a selfie pic.  That is why are heads are cut off :)

     I had leftover cabbage, I did not use it all for my St. Patty's day feast.  Therefore I decided to make cabbage rolls.  I stuffed mine with sausage and quinoa. These were so tasty! I just love them and they are easy to make.  Since it was the wee hours of the night I simply cooked the filling stuffed my cabbage and rolled them and set them in the fridge to be cooked at dinner time.  A positive coming out of not being able to sleep I found out this is a perfect plan ahead meal!


Healthy Tidbits:  High in Manganese and Vitamin C.

Serving:  4  Size:  2 cabbage rolls  Calories:  167  Fat:  5.9g  Carbs:  18.7g  Fiber:  3.5g  Protein:  11.4g  Sugar:  2.7g  Sodium:  190mg


Ingredients:
  • 8 cabbage leaves
  • 2  Hot Italian Chicken Sausage  links without the casing
    • If you are using ground chicken, pork or turkey,  instead of  the sausage links use about 3/4 lb and use the spices found HERE under breakfast sausage.
    • For vegetarian option substitute 2 cups mushrooms or tofu.
  • 1 can diced tomatoes or 1.5  cup of smaller tomatoes purred this is what I used.  Use 1/4 cup for the meat mixture remaining for the sauce.
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 2 garlic cloves minced
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped for sauce
  • 1/4 tsp pepper for meat : 1/4 tsp pepper for sauce
  • 1/4 tsp salt for sauce
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes for sauce
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder for meat and 1/4 tsp for sauce
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder for sauce.
  • 1/4 tsp italian seasonings for sauce.

Get Cooking:

In a large pot fill half way with water and bring to a boil.  Place the 8 washed cabbage leaves into pot and cover let steam and boil for about 2 minutes.  The remaining water can be used to blanche any additional veggies you would like to serve on the side of this meal.  I did green beans :)

For the filling in a medium frying pan use the water method for sautéing the onions.  water method, is add a couple tbsp of water when onions are sticking to the pan and let the water cook out.  Continue to do this until the onions are translucent.  This is a great way to not use extra oils.  After onion is cooked add sausage without the casing and garlic.  Cook until sausage is brown and cooked fully and ground up.  In a separate pot cook the quinoa according to the package.  With 1/2 cup quinoa, rinse for 2 minutes and then add to pot with 1 cup of water.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cover with a lid.  Cook for 10 minutes until water is fully absorbed.  Add the cooked quinoa to the meat mixture.  Add pepper tomato, salt, garlic powder.

Drain the meat and stuff the cabbage.  Place 1/8 of filling into a cabbage leaf and fold lengthwise and then roll from base to tip.  Set in a baking dish.  

For the sauce I used the same frying pan as the meat and had a little of the meat juice left over.  Add the remainder of tomatoes and spices.  Bring to a simmer and let cook down so it there is not that much liquid about 10 minutes.  Spoon over the cabbage rolls.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.  I sprinkled fresh parmesan and parsley on top,  Yum, Yum!














No comments:

Post a Comment