Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ratatouille

Made By: Ryan Noelle    March 28, 2013

     Well, Hello!!!  Do you remember me? haha. It has been a couple of days since I have posted something.  It has been a challenging week mentally.  Have you ever had a bad week?  Boy did I this week.  I mentally have been down on myself and I need to *snap* out of it.  Everything I created in the kitchen I did not think was good enough to share with all of you.  But, I finally pulled myself together and have a fabulous recipe, Ratatouille!


     I know Ratatouille, the mind directly goes to the Disney animated movie.  At least that's what Hubs said, "Ratatouille? We are having a movie?"  A little confusion in the house at first.  No, not a movie, but it is a dish they serve in the film.  Ratatouille is a French side dish consisting of tons of vegetables.  Traditionally the recipes call for tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, red pepper and basil.  I decided to make this dish, and thought this would be a GREAT side dish for Easter!


    Ratatouille was easy to make and tasted phenomenal!  I decided to layer my veggies in a dish and then bake it.  Even though the veggies were all mixed together, I could still taste each ingredient separately.  This dish is just wonderful.  A party in the mouth, for sure!

Oh it is so beautiful! tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, basil and mozzarella. MMMM...

   I am telling all of you this dish is a stunner at special occasions.   This was so scrumptious I think I could serve this every night as a side dish.  Bonus* it is all veggies so it is of course healthy for you!  Eat it all up.  A must try definietly!

Healthy Tidbits: Low in cholesterol. High in dietary fiber, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B6 and C.

Servings:  8  Size:  3/4 cup. a generous scoop  Calories:  92  Fat:  5.5g  Carbs:  8.9g  Fiber:  3.5g  Protein:  3.9g  Sugar:  3.9g  Sodium:  228mg

Ingredients:
  • 1 eggplant  sliced
  • 2 zucchini sliced
  • 2 yellow squash sliced
  • 1 tomato sliced
  • 1/8 red onion thinly sliced
  • 2 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
  • handful fresh basil leaves
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Marinara sauce optional* to spread on sides and to serve with
  • Spices to be mixed into a small bowl
    • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    • 1/2 tsp fresh thyme roughly chopped
    • 1/2 tsp rosemary
    • 1/2 tsp pepper
    • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
    • 1/2 tsp onion powder
    • 1/2 tsp basil
    • 1/2 tsp parsley
    • 1/2 tsp oregano
    • 2 cloves garlic minced




Get Cooking:

In a small bowl mix all of the spices together with the garlic.

Ok this is a pretty easy dish.  Slice all of your veggies into thin evenly sliced pieces.  Take your casserole dish and I first layered 1 whole zucchini and 1 whole yellow squash.  My dish was very deep.  I sprinkled some, a little bit, of the spices and drizzled a very little amount of olive oil.  Next start to layer starting on the outside and spiraling inwards all of your veggies.  zucchini, squash, eggplant, tomato basil and mozzarella.  Evenly distribute the veggies.  Last, sprinkle the red onion around and the remaining spices and drizzle with olive oil.  

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  I had some marinara sauce so I put that on the edges and then cooked my dish.  It was nice to have some marinara to serve on top also.  But this is not necessary! The dish is very flavorfull! 
Serve as a side dish or as a main course.  You can scoop it onto rice, quinoa, or eat alone. Yum, Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment