Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Savory Oatmeal

Made By: Ryan Noelle     March 13, 2013


     Good Morning Loves!! I just wanted to write up a quick little meal idea for all of you.  Have you ever had savory oatmeal?  No?! No worries, I hadn't either.  This morning I decided to try it and OMGoodness am I glad I did!  This oatmeal is absolutely delicious!  I could see serving this for dinner not only at breakfast time.  Making this oatmeal takes all of 10 minutes.  And is full of veggies, complex carbs and protein.  How perfect is that?  It does not get more nutritionally complete than this meal.  I made one serving of this oatmeal and could not even finish it all! It is that filling!  Plus being such a complete meal I know I will be full for a while!

     My oatmeal this morning consisted of spinach and broccoli.  The flavor combinations are really endless.  I would recommend throwing in any vegetables that you love and playing off those flavors.  I could see this oatmeal having a stir-fry theme.  Or perhaps Italian flavored with tomatoes, fresh basil and sausage.  MMMM... I cannot wait to try all sorts of different ways of making this!

    I hope you try switching up your oatmeal from the usual sweet flavors to a punchy mouth watering savory palate!


Serving:  1  Size:  1 bowl  Calories:  311  Fat:  12g  Carbs:  31g  Fiber:  5.5g  Protein:  19.8g  Sugar:  1.8g  Sodium:  604mg

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Quaker Oats ( use gluten free for those that need it) 
  • 1/2 cup spinach
  • 1/2 cup broccoli
  • 2 Eggs brown cage free omega 3 
  • dash of pepper
  • dash of garlic powder
  • dash of onion powder
  • Optional
  • sharp cheddar cheese


Get Cooking:

Heat chicken broth with veggies if they are frozen or without if you are using fresh vegetables.  When broth comes to a boil add fresh vegetables and oatmeal.  Cook for 3 minutes.  Mean while in a small frying pan slowly fry to eggs.  Or make them scramble your choice of how you like your eggs cooked is up to you ;)

Serve in a bowl top with cheese, salsa etc...  Enjoy!  Yum. Yum!







No comments:

Post a Comment