Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sweet Potato Soup

Made By: Ryan Noelle     March 8, 2013


    I love me some potato soup!  I love how it is creamy and tastes like a baked potato!  Traditional potato soup has cream and butter or bacon in it.  Then on top of the soup you layer sour cream, cheese, chives and more bacon!  I know it is so delicious!  But no that is not how I am going to make my potato soup.  I have decided to make some swaps.  The most noticeable one is i switched from idaho potatoes to sweet potatoes.  Mostly because they have more fiber and vitamins.  Second, I ditched the cream all together.  I have used pureed cauliflower to give the thick rich texture of traditional potato soup.  This soup turned out to be a big ol' bowl of sweet potatoe-y goodness.



Healthy Tidbits:  low in Saturated Fats, No cholesterol, High in dietary Fiber, High in Manganese, Niacin, Potassium, and Vitamins A, C & B6.


Servings:  8+  Size: 1 1/2 cups  Calories:  150  Fat:  3.2g  Carbs:  27.3g  Fiber:  5.6g  Protein:  5.2g  Sugar:  9.2g  Sodium:  982mg

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups sweet potato diced scrubbed and with skin still on.
  • 1 cup carrot diced
  • 2 cup celery diced
  • 1 onion diced
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp rosemary
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 3 cups chicken broth  or use water and bouillon cubes in equal amount.
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 tbsp. butter, this can be omitted for a fat free recipe
  • 2 clove garlic minced
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 3 cup cauliflower florets.
  • handful of chives diced.


Get Cooking:

In a large stockpot heat onions, carrot and celery until soft.  This takes about 4 minutes.  Add butter and cook an additional minutes.  Next, add the remainder of the ingredients.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and keep covered cook until potatoes are soft.  Now i take about 4 cups of the mixture.  I make sure to get all of the cauliflower.  I place this into a blender and blend until pureed.  Add it back to the soup.  Add any salt and pepper.  I topped my soup with greek yogurt, cheese and chives.  Yum, Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment