Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Homemade Strawberry Jam


     Being as it is the last day of April and May is upon us this can mean only one thing.  It is strawberry season!  I love strawberries and I plan on using them in as many dishes as I can.  I decided to make this super EASY homemade strawberry jam.  It took me all of 15 minutes to make this sweet spreadable treat.  I decided not to add any extra sugar but if you or your family like a sweeter jelly add a little honey, agave or coconut sugar.


     When I first decided to make this jam I thought it was going to be time consuming and an expensive venture, that really I should just buy it from the store.  Be that as it may, I am a stickler for making food from scratch, so I can control what exactly is being put into it, I decided to give jam making a go.  And guess what this ended up being the easiest thing I think I have made!  This is as simple as mashing strawberries adding lemon juice and cooking for 10 minutes on the stove.  Done!  That is all it takes and you get to enjoy homemade rich in flavor sweet and delectable jam.



     Oh! I hope everyone had a great weekend also! I have decided to take candid pictures of my weekend and make a little Weekend Bird's Eye View every Monday.  (Shh... I am one day late).
My weekend was a good one filled with friends and gorgeous Spring weather!  Oh and the Hubs and I bought bikes soooo let's just say we will be cruising the streets of Boston this weekend!
 



      I hope you try the jam and let me know how you like it in the comments.  I cannot wait to make more flavors of this jam! Blackberry, blueberry, apple cinnamon...

     What is your favorite jam flavors?

Healthy Tidbits:  No saturated fat, or cholesterol. Low in sodium.  High in Fiber Vitamin C and Manganese.


Serving:   35   Size:  1 tbsp.  Calories:  5  Fat: 0g  Carbs:  1.2g  Protein: 0.1g  Sugar:  0.8g  Sodium: 0

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb strawberries.  I used fresh but you can use frozen ones thawed
  • 1/2 of a lemon.  You will be using the juice.
  • If you want to add some sweetness use a scant 1/4 cup of coconut sugar or 2 tbsp honey or agave.  



Get Cooking:

Wash and remove stems of strawberries.  Cut the strawberries in half.

Add strawberries to food processor or blender whatever you have on hand.  I tried mashing these by hand but they were very difficult, in my opinion.  Pulse food processor until you have a strawberry puree.  I like mine to be a little chunky.

Add strawberries to a small saucepan and squeeze half of the lemon juice into the pan.  It will be about 1/8 of a cup of lemon juice.

Heat on high until your mixture reaches a boil.  Turn heat to medium and occasionally stirring heat at a boil for 10 minutes.  The strawberries will thicken and deepen in color.

Remove from heat and add to a jar that you will be storing the jam in.  Cover and place in the fridge to cool.   That's it!

Yum, Yum!



2 comments:

  1. HI! I did this as well as your granola bars, and it tasted pretty good thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete