Friday, April 5, 2013

Quinoa-n-Cheese

Made By: Ryan Noelle     April 5, 2013

     Have you ever been asked the question, "What would you pick, if you had one meal left before you died?"  That seems like a challenging question.  One meal?  hmmm... Oh, its not that difficult.  I would pick my favorite food Mac-n-Cheese!  Yup not much has changed since I was 5.  I absolutely love mac-n-cheese.  I could possibly eat this for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner!  However, we all know this is not the most healthful dish for us to consume.  Knowing this I wanted to create a better for you version of my beloved mac-n-cheese.  Introducing Quinoa-n-Cheese!

Cheese Strings!!! You know its good!
 
     For this dish I have substituted the elbow noodles for quinoa and cauliflower.  Switched up what types of cheeses are in it and still a beautiful and delicious medley was produced.  Trust me when I say, as a macaroni and cheese lover,  that this is just as scrumptious!  Now go, get in that kitchen and make Quinoa-n-Cheese.  You will love me for it!






Nice dish to bring to a party!





How I served this dream.  My 'kid' favorites dinner, Baked Chicken Nuggets and Quinoa-n-Cheese.








Healthy Tidbits: Very High in Protein and Vitamin B6.




Serving:  8  Size:  +/- 1/2 cup  Calories:  190  Fat:  7.4g  Carbs:  19g  Fiber:  1.8g  Protein:  12.2g  Sugar:  3g  Sodium:  596mg

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup Quinoa, I used White Quinoa
  • 6 oz  2% sharp cheddar shredded
  • 1 cup Non Fat Cottage Cheese 
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 head cauliflower boiled and riced. 
  • 1 small onion about 1/4 cup grated
  • 1 tsp ground mustard or you can use deli style mustard or any mustard you have on hand :)
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • parmesan, parsley and italian seasonings to sprinkle on top


Get Cooking:

Cook quinoa according to directions.  Its 2:1 for water : quinoa mix. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes.

Cook cauliflower and rice it, instructions can be found HERE.

In a sauce pot heat butter and add grated onion.  Use a cheese grater to grate the onion.  Cook for about 2 minutes.  Add blended cottage cheese, shredded cheddar, quinoa, cauliflower and spices. Mix and Cook until Cheese is melted.  Add more salt or pepper to taste.  Transfer to a baking dish.  Sprinkle with parmesan, parsley and italian seasonings lightly.  Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.  Serve warm!  Yum, Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment