Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lebanese Lentils (Mujaddara)


Hi.

Remember me? I feel so awful I have been neglecting my posts here!  I hope you all have stuck with me.  It has been crazy here.  But there is no excuse. I am a bad Blogger (slap on the wrist).  Well...  If you are still with me and you still care.  I would love love love to share this new recipe with you!

This is a protein packed, fiber rich superfood side dish!



I love lentils and I haven't made them in a long time.  So the other night I decided to change that and cook up some lentils with rice.  After a sweep through the trusty world wide web I found a dish, Mujaddara.  Mujaddara is a lebanese dish made with lentils, rice and caramelized onions.  How simple and delicious!  Of course I substituted traditional basmati rice with brown and omitted all oils.  I tweaked the recipe here and there and found this dish to be soooo yummy!



Trust me when I demand that you make this dish.  It is low cal, low fat, fiber rich, a protein mama and easy to whip up!

Let me know what you think!

Healthy Tidbits:  Low in Saturated fat.  No cholesterol.  High in fiber, Manganese and Vit. B6


Servings:  8  Size:  heaping 1/2 cup   Calories:  140  Fat:  1g   Carbs:  26g  Fiber:  5.6g  Protein:  6.1g  Sugar:  1.4g  Sodium:  96mg* plus what you add

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Organics Green Lentils Dry 
  • 3/4 cup brown rice
  • 2 onions
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • kosher salt




Get Cooking:

First rinse Lentils and make sure there is nothing in them but lentils.  Add to a medium pot and fill with water to an inch above the beans.  This water will be drained so perfection is not important.
Bring pot of lentils to a boil and cover and reduce the heat.  Cook for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes drain the water and set lentils aside.

While the Lentils are cooking take thinly sliced onion and using the water method brown and caramelize them.  Water Method found here.
Add a sprinkling of pepper, salt and cumin.  Just a pinch of each.

Now in the same pot the lentils were cooked in add a little over half of the onions and brown rice.  On medium heat start to brown the rice.  Add your 1/2 tsp of spices and salt.  Cook for a minute.  Now add lentils and broth and water.  Bring to a boil.  Cover.  Reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes.  You want all liquid to be absorbed.  Taste to see if more salt or pepper is needed.

In oven on broil or bake toast walnuts.

Dish up with some greek yogurt toasted walnuts and the remaining caramelized onions.  Yum, Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment