Monday, May 20, 2013

Tomato Basil Soup



     Happy Happy Monday!!  I hope everyone's weekend was tons of fun!  Mine was a great time I went to my friend Ryan's Coast Guard Ship!  I never thought it would interest me as much as it did.  The ship was enormous and the quarters are so compact.  They fit sleeping quarters, bathrooms, dinning/cafeteria halls, and work stations all inside this boat.  It was a maze getting through three levels of the ship.  Here are some pics I gathered.

Pic 1: Jeff and Ryan at the dock. You can see the ship in the background.
Pic 2: The door we enter (like a submarine :)
Pic 3: Me in front of the huge gun!
Pic 4: Inside
Pic 5: Sleeping quarters; there are 3 beds there!
Pic 6: Jeff (right) Ryan (left) in the TV room


     As you can tell in the pics it has been a little overcast and gloomy here.  Whenever it is cloudy and rainy I crave soup.  So...  I made some tomato basil soup with cheese crackers.  The hubby had a grilled cheese with his, as pictured.


     This tomato soup was incredibly easy to make.  And most likely you have all the ingredients in your house already.  The added basil brings added life to the tomatoes.  I loved, loved loved this soup!  It was so good I could not stop eating it.  Which isn't a bad thing the entire pot that feeds 8 is only 371 calories!  It is just amazing!   My hubs was admit that he does not like tomato soup!  Yet when he tried this he went back for seconds and said it was DELICIOUS!  Because the soup is blended down, there are no chunks of tomato.  It almost is like eating a tasty marinara sauce :)

     I topped the soup with cheese crackers I made.  This was such a perfect soup I will be making it all the time!

Let me know how you enjoy it in the comments.  I love hearing when people have tried a recipe!
xoxo


Cheese Crackers.  SO simple



Healthy Tidbits:  Very low in Sat. Fat. No cholesterol.  High in Dietary Fiber, Manganese, Magnesium, Potassium, Thiamin and Vit. E.  Very High in Iron, Vit. A, B6 & C.


Serving:  8  Size:  1 cup   Calories:  46  Fat:  0.3g  Carbs:  9.7g  Fiber:  2.2g  Protein:  2.2g  Sugar:  4.6g  Sodium:  45mg plus what you add


Ingredients:

  • 4 roma tomato sliced in half
  • 1 onion diced
  • 4 clove garlic minced
  • 2 carrots diced
  • 4 celery stalk diced
  • 12 oz large can whole Plum Tomato with basil is good.
  • 1 cup basil, washed and roughly chopped
  • 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
  • spices about 1 tsp of each but I always taste the soup towards the end and add more if needed.
    • 1 tsp black pepper
    • 1 tsp thyme
    • kosher salt





Get Cooking:

Dice the onion, carrots and celery.  Also mince the garlic.

In a large pot on med-high heat use the water method and cook the onions until translucent.  Once clear add the carrots, celery and garlic.  Cook for about 3 minutes.  Add the plum and roma tomatoes.  Let these cook together for 10 minutes.

Now add the broth and spices.  Do not add the basil yet.  Cook covered while bubbling for 20 minutes.

Now take the soup and put into a blender and blend until smooth.  Return to the pot.  Be careful it is always hot to transfer from pot to blender.

Add the basil and let cook on low for another 5 minutes.  Serve with cheese crackers or a sprinkling of parmesan and a dollop of nonfat greek yogurt!

How to make cheese cracker

Shred any type of cheese you desire.  I used a sharp cheddar.  place little piles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  sprinkle parmesan on top of the cheddar piles.  Bake at 400 until browning and bubbling.  Let cool and add to soup! :)


2 comments:

  1. Shall be making this this week! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you L-O-V-E it! This is honestly one of my favs! :D Let me know how you liked it Michaela!

      Delete